So your career is winding down after working for 30+ years and you are thinking about ‘Where do I want to spend my time’? Good.
But thinking about it is only a start, you really should make a plan and begin the processing of making value decisions. Determine what is IMPORTANT to you first and then break it down into its parts.
- Is it time with your spouse? Children? Extended family? Friends? Alone?
- Is it community service? If so, what does “community service” mean to you?
- Is it how to use your leisure time? Does that mean traveling? If so, how often? Where?
- Is it about learning? What does that mean to you?
- Some kind of work? Part time? How much / often?
- Leaving a legacy?
After you clean your garage and the basement (which might take a year after neglecting things for awhile) you will have about 2080 hours that you USED to spend at work and now will spend it doing SOMETHING. Will it be I Love Lucy reruns? A couple of fishing trips? Regardless of what you decide to do, making a plan will improve it.[Read more…] about 2080 work hours per year. Now what?