OUR NEWEST SEMINAR!
Anxiety and Career Development: Theory, Practice, and Resources
This seminar explores the role that anxiety disorders play in the career development process of clients (including students or others being served) and offers insight into career counseling/coaching/advising approaches most effective for these situations.
We examine the differences between routine worry or stress and true anxiety disorders and how these can show up in clients’ behavior, emotional barriers, and language. Using case studies, we discuss solutions to help anxious clients move forward. Also provided are accessible resources for clients needing referral for anxiety diagnosis and treatment, as well as guidance in collaborating with mental health professionals who may be addressing the clinical aspects of anxiety concurrent with our work on the careers side.
INSTRUCTOR: Michelle Tullier
Date(s): Oct 14 – Nov 18, 2023
Instructor: Michelle Tullier
Participation: 5-week commitment
Contact Hours: 15 Recertification hours: Peak-Careers is an NCDA approved provider. Also meets CCE approval for GCDF and BCC
Each participant will be able to:
- Describe the difference between routine stress or worry and formal anxiety disorders.
- Briefly define the three types of anxiety disorders most relevant to career development.
- Describe when and how it is appropriate to ask clients about anxiety when they do not self-disclose.
- Citing at least four approaches commonly used by mental health professionals to treat anxiety, describe how career development services can complement those approaches.
- Name at least five career development theories that address the challenges of anxious clients.
- Explain the steps in the Career/Anxiety Alignment Protocol (C/AAP) approach to career counseling/coaching/advising with anxious clients.
- Describe at least three free online resources that provide educational information for individuals grappling with anxiety.
Week Zero: I use week zero to have everyone log into the online Learning Management System and to ensure they are comfortable navigating the webpage.
Week 1: Foundations for Effectiveness. Defining and recognizing anxiety and its role in the career development process, including understanding the experience of clients who are, or have been in treatment for anxiety disorders.
Week 2: Theory. Analyzing career development theories for their relevance to practice when working with anxious clients.
Week 3: Practice: Career Choice and Change. Using the Career/Anxiety Alignment Protocol (C/AAP) when helping clients choose or change careers.
Week 4: Practice: Job Search. Using the Career/Anxiety Alignment Protocol (C/AAP) when helping clients strategize and carry out a job search.
Week 5: Integration and Reflection. Integrating elements of C/AAP into your practice, resources for further practitioner and client support.
Interactive online seminar in discussion boards with career professionals like you. Participants will have weekly assignments, readings and discussions. Assignments open on a Saturday and are open for 7 days. You may log in and post discussions at times convenient to you. I only ask that you post initially each week by Wednesday so that the discussion can continue all week.
All articles are provided.
Must have Internet access with the ability to read Microsoft Word documents and Adobe PDF files and the ability to view videos (primarily YouTube videos).
- Payment is due in full at least one week prior to seminar beginning unless other arrangements have been made.
- Cancellations must be in writing via email.
- If you cancel, and have paid thru PayPal, Venmo, or our Quickbooks invoice, we will refund you minus their fees
- If Peak-Careers cancels the seminar, a full refund will be granted.
- Cancellations less than 1 week before the seminar begins will result in a $50 fee.
- No refunds will be granted for cancellations once the seminar begins.
- Refunds will be issued within 2 weeks from the cancellation request date.