Often when one of our clients is struggling to make a career decision, they are having difficulty moving through a transition in their life. We will break down transitions into their various parts to understand them and to assist clients in managing their transition. We will review a number of articles and publications which address understanding transitions with our clients, whether they are high school, college-age, or mature adults.
Dr. Nancy Schlossberg’s Transition Theory will be introduced and discussed as it relates to career counseling, then we will move to Dr. William Bridges’ work on understanding transitions in corporations and businesses and how his work is translatable to our career advising with clients. Participants are expected to be active in the online exchange of information, perspectives, and experiences.
INSTRUCTOR: Jim Peacock
“The course gave me an opportunity to learn about an additional transition model and some good tools and exercises.”
– Dorian Mintzer, M.S.W., Ph.D., BCC –
Date(s): February 3 – March 9, 2024
Instructor: Jim Peacock
Participation: 5-week commitment
Contact Hours: 15 contact hours.
Recertification hours: Peak-Careers is an NCDA approved provider. Also meets CCE approval for GCDF
Course Fee: $419
Limited to 10 to produce the best online discussions
Registration coming soon!
Each participant will be able to:
- Describe the general principles of Schlossberg’s Transition theory and Situation, Self, Support, Strategies (4 S’s).
- Describe the components of William Bridges’ transition work with companies and how they can be related to individuals.
- Identify examples of transitions in your own life.
- Name at least three tasks you can recommend to your clients in order to help them through difficult transitions.
- Describe how to integrate the principles and tools of ‘transition theory’ into career advising/counseling.
Week Zero: I use week zero to have everyone log into the online Learning Management System and to ensure they are comfortable navigating the webpage.
Week 1: Introduction / Overview of Dr. Schlossberg’s 4 S’s Transition Theory
Week 2: Introduction / Overview of Dr. William Bridges’ transition work
Week 3: Introduction of the Change Wheel and the Choice Wheel for assisting clients in understanding their own strengths and weaknesses. Case studies of people will be utilized for activities.
Week 4: Other perspectives on transition.
Week 5: Pulling it all together.
Interactive online seminar in discussion boards with career professionals like you. Participants will have weekly assignments, readings and discussions. Assignments open on a Saturday and are open for 7 days. You may log in and post discussions at times convenient to you. I only ask that you post initially each week by Wednesday so that the discussion can continue all week.
Read all assigned articles (provided in seminar); participate in online discussions; write a final paper describing how you will apply what you have learned in your current job.
Must have Internet access with ability to read Microsoft Word documents and Adobe PDF files and ability to view video (primarily YouTube videos).
- Payment is due in full at least one week prior to seminar beginning unless other arrangements have been made.
- Cancellations must be in writing via email.
- If you cancel, and have paid thru PayPal, Venmo, or our Quickbooks invoice, we will refund you minus their fees
- If Peak-Careers cancels the seminar, a full refund will be granted.
- Cancellations less than 1 week before the seminar begins will result in a $50 fee.
- No refunds will be granted for cancellations once the seminar begins.
- Refunds will be issued within 2 weeks from the cancellation request date.