Career Coaching with Jim Peacock
Q. How long have you been doing what you do and how did you get to be a career coach?
I have over 30 years experience helping people make career decisions from high school, college age, mid-life career changers, through Boomers who are trying to reinvent themselves.
Q. Where are you located? How do you meet with people?
I live in Vassalboro Maine but 99% of my sessions are done using a video-conference platform called Zoom. Similar to Skype, FaceTime, Google Hangouts, WebEx, GoToMeeting. I find zoom to be simpler.
Q. How long is a session?
A typical session is one hour.
Q. How do I pay for the sessions?
I can take credit cards using PayPal and I also accept checks.
Payment must be made in advance of the session.
Q. What are the results I can expect?
You can expect to:
- get a clearer vision of what your strengths are in the workplace
- develop a value-added statement that you can share with others to discover more job opportunities
- create a resume and LinkedIn profile that reflects the values, skills, and passions that demonstrate your ‘value-added’ statement
- understand the current job seeking strategies to be successful
- know what online job searching tools are best for you
- Because I customize to meet your needs, your results might include a mock interview or other career-related topics that you need.
Q. What actually happens in a typical session?
We will explore your career pathways, what has worked for you, possibly take some assessments (often skills assessments but also could be work values and personality).
I typically assign homework that will help you figure out themes, possible industries to work in, companies to work for, people who are in your network (or should be).
It is your hour so I will check in to make sure we are working on what YOU want to work on each hour.
Q. How many times would we meet?
For most people, we would meet every other week so that you have time to process the information, think about your career in a different way, and to complete the homework. I have different plans available that range from 1-6 sessions. It really depends on what you are looking for. (Best way to determine this is to set up a complimentary 30-minute session).
Q. Who are your clients?
My clients are college age to Boomers. I have worked at three different colleges as a career counselor over the past 20 years. A community college, and, Bates College and Colby College, both private Liberal Arts colleges. I have worked with lots of mid-life career changers as well.
Many others only have work experience, no college degree. Nearly everyone is unhappy with their current career and are looking for ways to reinvent themselves or to find a different company to work for.
Q. How are you different than other career coaches?
I am very practical, straightforward, and action-oriented. I believe that you can create your own luck by using, what I call, “intentional serendipity”.
Q. What type of person do you work best with and what is expected of me?
I don’t work with everyone. I’ve referred people to other career coaches when it is not a good fit. I work with people who are motivated to DO the work required to make a career move, a willingness to reframe their situation, and an interest to learn new ways of doing things to improve their careers.
Q. What results can I expect?
You can expect to:
- be able to articulate your value in the marketplace i.e. what makes you unique
- create a resume that reflects your value
- create a LinkedIn profile that also supports your message
- write a compelling cover letter when applying for a job
Q. I think I am ready to invest in this process. What do I do now?
Contact me at JimPeacock @Peak-Careers.com or call me 207-649-9761 to determine the best package for you and set up your first session.