This seminar explores the Holland Interest theory, the #1 career interest theory in the world for assisting people in understanding the world of work. Holland is a trait-factor theory that simply states that “if you like to do these kinds of activities, then you will most likely like to do these types of jobs”. We will explore the 6 Holland types, take at least 3 Holland-based assessments, and explore what works and what does not work at times with this theory.
We will also explore practical free websites and activities you can do with your clients using the Holland theory. The Missouri occupation interest card sort is included in this seminar.
Note: If you are out of the US, please contact Jim directly to discuss the card sorts. We would have to discuss an alternate to mailing the card sorts.
INSTRUCTOR: Jim Peacock
Date(s): October 16, 2021 – November 20, 2021
Instructor: Jim Peacock
Participation: 5-week commitment
Contact Hours: 15 CCE-approved contact hours * CCE approved for GCDF.
Course Fee: $419 + $35 Assessments (Additional fee for International shipping)
Missouri Interest Card Sort Assessment: $35 (For shipping out of the USA, contact Jim directly)
Limited to 10 to produce the best online discussions
View Upcoming Courses
Each participant will be able to:
- Describe the 6 Holland types and your top 2 or 3 types
- Identify at least 3 reasons this theory may not work with some clients/students
- Complete the My Next Move interest assessment
- Describe how to search ONET by Holland Code(s)
- Administer the Missouri Card Sort to themselves and to another person to determine Holland codes
- Interpret the results using Holland types
- Describe at least 3 free websites to utilize with clients to explore occupations (OOH, ONET, American’s Career Info Net)
- Describe at least 3 activities for different clientele to help people explore their Holland codes
Week Zero: I use week zero to have everyone log into the online Learning Management System and to ensure they are comfortable navigating the webpage.
Week 1: Introduction of John Hollands interest theory / Holland Party Game
Week 2: Using Holland theory in ONET and My Next Move
Week 3: Introduce using the Missouri Interest Card Sort (Holland-based)
Week 4: Practical applications of Holland
Week 5: Pulling it all together / integrating into your practice / Case studies
Interactive online seminar in discussion boards with career professionals like you. Participants will have weekly assignments, readings, and discussions. Assignments open on a Saturday and are open for 7 days. You may log in and post discussions at times convenient to you. I only ask that you post initially each week by Wednesday so that the discussion can continue all week.
All articles are provided.
Must have Internet access with the ability to read Microsoft Word documents and Adobe PDF files and the ability to view video (primarily YouTube videos).
- Payment is due in full at least one week prior to seminar beginning unless other arrangements have been made.
- Cancellations must be in writing via email.
- Full refunds (minus a 3% PayPal fee for credit card payments) will be issued for cancellations requested at least a week in advance.
- If Peak-Careers cancels the seminar, a full refund will be granted.
- Cancellations less than 1 week before the seminar begins will result in a $50 fee.
- No refunds will be granted for cancellations once the seminar begins.
- Refunds will be issued within 2 weeks from the cancellation request date.