For Career Counselors, Career Practitioners, Job Coaches & Academic Advisors
Looking for professional development for your staff or members of your Career Development Association?
Jim provides practical, holistic training in a variety of topics. Or work with him to customize a training to fit your specific needs—from an intensive, one-day training to a set of sessions over several days. Jim can also provide online follow-up for his live, on-site, interactive professional development sessions.
As a career counselor, academic advisor, FCD instructor (NCDA approved) and Happenstance Theory specialist, Jim is uniquely qualified to deliver high-value, practical and holistic career services training in live, interactive settings.
Choose from career development training topics such as:
- What do you want to be when you grow up is the wrong question. Challenge card workshop
- Understanding Transitions
- Using Intentional Serendipity to Create Opportunities (Based upon th
e Happenstance Theory)
- The “magic of card sorts” using skills, values, passions, obstacles, majors, interest cards sorts
- Using the Holland Code theory to help clients and students choose college majors or careers
- LinkedIn training for content and strategy. The largest career database in the world.
- Creating a value-added resume
Or work with Jim to customize a training to fit the specific needs of your staff— from an intensive, one-day training to a set of sequential, comprehensive sessions over several days.
He can also provide online follow-up for all live professional development training sessions and workshops.
Ask about scheduling Jim for your next career training event.
Past Conference Sessions
Some of Jim’s past presentations include:
What do you want to be when you grow up, is the wrong question. (Challenge card workshop)
Happenstance Happens: How We Can Help Our Clients Choose Majors or Occupations Using Happenstance
Helping Clients Navigate Their Transitions
- The Magic of Card Sorts in Career Advising
- Can an ENFP Be a Forester?
- How to Choose a Major by Accident
- Using Career Assessments to Help Clients Choose a Career or Major
- Understanding How Career Development is Connected to Academic Advising
- Career Advising Case Studies: Solving the Case
- An Introduction to the Holland Code. What works and what does not.
Some of the recipients of Jim’s training, consulting and speaking:
- National Career Development Association
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) and NACADA Region 1
- Mid-Atlantic Career Counseling Association
- Maine Community College System
- New England Educational Opportunity Association (NEOA)
- New Hampshire Colleges and Universities Consortium
- Minnesota Career Development Association
- Wisconsin Career Development Association
- Rhode Island Career Development Association
- Johnson State College in Vermont
- Maine Educational Opportunity Association
- Maine Adult Education Association
- Maine Career Development Association (MCDA)
- Vermont regional group@ Green Mountain College
- MELMAC Education Foundation grant awardees
- TRIO Regional Conference
A veteran speaker and engaging presenter, Jim has also delivered inspiring and engaging speeches to dozens of groups, including parent-high school student events at colleges, Adult Education program graduations, educational honorary ceremonies and numerous educational conferences.
Are you looking for an interactive, practical, and fun workshop to motivate your group?
Jim’s seminars are unique and a great way to receive training (which includes interaction with other participants); without ever leaving your desk! Jim is knowledgeable, passionate about helping people with career related needs and his classes are well organized and very valuable. I have completed his Happenstance and Transition Theory seminars and both were very informative and convenient! With his seminars, you gain practical, useful information in a short period of time.