CURRENTLY NOT OFFERING THIS SEMINAR
As more veterans are leaving the military and returning to the civilian workforce, it is increasingly important that career practitioners have the training and resources to provide services and support to this population. This seminar will explore the unique aspects of working with veterans, the career theories that may work best for this population, and the strategies and resources that are effective. After completing the seminar, you will feel much better equipped to begin working with this deserving population.
We will read a number of articles, view videos, discuss our readings, look at a variety of tools and activities available to assist others, explore resources, consider case studies, and demonstrate how to integrate all of this into your practice.
Each participant will be able to:
- Describe the unique aspects of working with transitioning veterans.
- Describe the major components of the veteran demographics.
- Better understand the needs of today’s veteran as they transition to the civilian workforce.
- Describe which career theories would be most relevant to working with this population.
- Identify & explore at least 6 online resources available to help veterans transitioning from the military.
- Understand the disabilities faced by some veterans, how this might impact their career development and how to help the veteran address the issues that may arise.
- Explore and understand special topics that may impact the transition such as skills translators, veterans and higher education, and female veterans.
- Demonstrate how to apply career development strategies in their work with veterans.
Price includes an assessment.
Week Zero: I use week zero to have everyone log into the online Learning Management System and to ensure they are comfortable navigating the webpage.
Week 1: Characteristics of today’s veterans and their needs
Week 2: Coaching/Counseling Implications for Life/Career Transitions with Military Veterans
Week 3: Career Theory and Assessment
Week 4: Skills Translators and Job Search Strategies
Week 5: Special Categories and Challenges faced by Veterans
Interactive online seminar with discussion boards with career professionals like you. Participants will have weekly assignments, readings and discussions. Assignments open on a Saturday and are open for 7 days. You may log in and post discussions at times convenient to you. Additional articles and some videos will be available on the website to supplement our discussions.
All articles and activities are provided. You will be mailed an assessment once you have made payment for the course.
Read all assigned articles (provided in seminar); participate in online discussions; write a final paper describing how you will apply what you have learned in your current job.
Must have Internet access with ability to read Microsoft Word documents and Adobe PDF files and ability to view video (primarily YouTube videos).
- Payment in full is due at least one week prior to seminar beginning unless other arrangements have been made.
- Cancellations must be in writing, email is preferred.
- Cancellations less than 1 week before seminar begins will result in $50 fee. The remaining amount will be sent to you within 2 weeks from receipt of cancellation request.
- Cancellations once seminar begins – no refund.