This seminar looks at ways you can assist others in re-thinking their lives in preparation for retirement. How will they rebalance their lives? We reluctantly use the term retirement because we reject the old perception that retirement is a time of disengaging and slowing down. We are advocating a re-imagining of life.
Every day for the next 15+ years almost 10,000 baby boomers will reach age 65. The aging of this huge cohort of Americans (26% of the total U.S. population are Baby Boomers) will dramatically change the composition of the country.
More significantly, Baby Boomers are redefining aging. People are healthier, more educated, active, and are simply not ready to “retire” and sit home to watch t.v. For some it may be an encore career. For others, it may be travel or learning new skills. For others, it could be caring for family members.
We will read a number of articles as well as chapters from the book, Live Smart After 50!, look at a variety of tools and activities available to assist others in this exploration process by going through the process themselves, and discuss how to integrate all this into practice.
INSTRUCTOR: Jim Peacock
“Working With Boomers to Reinvent Retirement” was thought-provoking, stimulating, jam-packed with solid content and the most convenient training delivery system ever.”
Dr. Jackie Black. Founder and CEO at Dr. Jackie Black.
Instructor: Jim Peacock
Participation: 5-week seminar
Contact Hours: 15 CCE-approved contact hours for GCDF & meets BCC requirements
Course Fee: $419 (+$35 for three decks of card sorts: passions, strengths, and concerns)
Limited to 10 career service providers to produce the best online discussions
View Upcoming Courses
FAQ’s Register Now
Each participant will be able to:
- Describe 3 aspects of the changing perspective on retirement.
- Describe the major components of the Boomer demographics
- Describe how to use card sorts in identifying strengths, passions, and values.
- Identify & complete at least 1 online assessment that could be used with this population.
- Define the 5 areas on the Life Planning checklist covered in this seminar; work, love (family / friends), health, legacy, and leisure.
- Describe the 4 layers of the “Iceberg Model of Health & Disease” and how each area relates to people in the 3rd Age of life.
- Describe at least 5 different action steps a person might use to create their ‘legacy’
- Identify six resources available to help individuals pre-retirement and retired to do life planning
- Know at least six exercises that clients can use to discover what to do with their 2080 hours (average number of hours the typical person works in a year).
- Describe how to integrate the principles and tools of 3rd Age in career advising / counseling
Price includes three decks of card sorts: passions, strengths, and obstacles.
Week 1: Introduction / Overview
New perspectives, gerontological research, and theory.
The Philosophical Shift in Our Perspective on Retirement
Changing demographics regarding longevity and vitality and feelings about relevance.
Week 2: Identifying strengths, skills, passions, and values.
Working with assessments, tools, and resources
Week 3: Examining Life, Legacy, Purpose, and Spirit.
Engagement vs Involvement
Week 4: Physical, Emotional, Social, Psychological Health
Creating an Action Plan
Week 5: Pulling it all together / integrating into your practice
- Website has a discussion board that will be used for online discussions. (Minimum of 10 discussions in the 5 week period)
- E-mail within the class will be used for communication.
- Reading of required articles and completion of activities.
- Additional articles and some videos are available on the website to supplement our discussions.
Interactive online seminar in discussion boards with career professionals like you. Participants will have weekly assignments, readings, and discussions. Assignments open on a Saturday and are open for 7 days. You may log in and post discussions at times convenient to you. I only ask that you post initially each week by Wednesday so that the discussion can continue all week.
Read all assigned articles (provided in seminar); participate in online discussions; write a final paper describing how you will apply what you have learned in your current job.
Must have Internet access with the ability to read Microsoft Word documents and Adobe PDF files and ability to view video (primarily YouTube videos).
- *For Credit Card purchases only. Due to changes in PayPal’s User Agreement where-by PayPal still charges me their ~3% fee when refunding, the refund will be subtracted from your refund.
- If Peak-Careers cancels the seminar, a full refund will be granted.
- Payment in full is due at least one week prior to seminar beginning unless other arrangements have been made.
- Cancellations must be in writing, email is preferred.
- Cancellations less than 1 week before seminar begins will result in $50 fee. The remaining amount will be sent to you within 2 weeks from receipt of cancellation request.
- Cancellations once seminar begins – no refund.